Nuevo

Woodern Wagonway

Woodern Wagonway


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Los ingenieros comenzaron a construir ferrocarriles de madera en las minas de Europa central a principios del siglo XVI. El primer ferrocarril de madera en Inglaterra se construyó en Wollaton en 1604. La idea original era utilizar el ferrocarril de madera tirado por caballos para transportar carbón desde Wollaton Colliery a la población de Nottingham. Poco después se construyeron ferrocarriles similares en Shropshire y Northumberland.

Siempre que fue posible, se dispusieron vías de vagones para que los vagones cargados pudieran viajar cuesta abajo hasta un río o puerto. Luego se utilizaron caballos para subir los carros vacíos por la colina. En 1758, el Parlamento decidió que los propietarios de las minas de carbón tendrían que pedir permiso antes de construir una vía de transporte. Más tarde ese año, Charles Brandling, se convirtió en el primero en aprobar una Ley del Parlamento cuando pidió permiso para construir una vía de transporte entre su Middleton Colliery y Leeds.

Christopher Blackett, el propietario de Wylam Colliery, tenía un camino de madera de cinco millas que llevaba carbón al río Tyne. En 1804 Blackett contrató a Richard Trevithick para construir una locomotora que reemplazaría el uso de vagones de carbón tirados por caballos. sin embargo, el Wylam La locomotora pesaba cinco toneladas, era demasiado pesada para la vagoneta de madera de Blackett.


Alrededor de Beamish

Beamish es mejor conocido por ser el hogar del Museo Viviente del Norte. Fue una creación de un hombre de Yorkshire, Frank Atkinson, ex director del Museo Bowes en Barnard Castle, quien comenzó a coleccionar artefactos relacionados con la historia social e industrial del noreste de Inglaterra. Sus colecciones resultaron en la fundación de un museo en Beamish Hall en 1970 que eventualmente se convirtió en Beamish Open Air Museum.

Museo de Beamish. Foto © David Simpson

El proyecto para construir un museo de este tipo fue concebido por primera vez por Atkinson en 1958 y en los primeros días algunos artefactos se almacenaron en las cabañas del antiguo campamento del ejército de Brancepeth, cerca de la ciudad de Durham.

Desde 1970, el Museo al Aire Libre del Norte de Inglaterra en Beamish fue financiado por un comité conjunto de autoridades locales de toda la región del noreste y sigue siéndolo en la actualidad. Las características conservadas en el museo provienen de toda la región, desde Teesside hasta Northumberland.

De 1970 a 1972, las exhibiciones se limitaron a la sala, pero los aspectos al aire libre del museo se volvieron cada vez más accesibles después de ese tiempo y el museo ahora cubre un área de más de 300 acres.

Beamish Hall ya no es parte del museo y ha sido un hotel desde el año 2000. Muchos de los edificios, características, artefactos y personal disfrazado del museo recrean la vida en el noreste de Inglaterra como lo era alrededor de 1913 con un área adicional. del sitio en Pockerley se centrará en 1820 y una nueva área actualmente en desarrollo se centrará en la década de 1950.

Los edificios en Beamish incluyen la granja doméstica de aproximadamente 1800. Esta granja se encontraba en el sitio mucho antes del museo y originalmente era el establo asociado con Beamish Hall.

La ciudad museo se ha construido a partir de la reconstrucción de edificios desmantelados traídos de toda la región, incluida una calle con terrazas & # 8211 Ravensworth Terrace de Bensham en Gateshead, una sala masónica de Sunderland, una tienda cooperativa de Annfield Plain y un público casa llamada Sun Inn de Bishop Auckland. Otros edificios de la ciudad incluyen una imprenta y papelería, odontología y una cervecería con establos y caballos reales.

La ciudad, Museo Beamish. Foto © John Simpson

La estación de tren del museo llamada Beamish Station es en realidad la estación Rowley traída aquí desde el pequeño asentamiento de Rowley cerca de Consett y data de 1867. Otras características del museo incluyen un quiosco de música de Saltwell Park en Gateshead, una caja de señales de ferrocarril de Carr House East cerca Consett y un cobertizo de mercancías de Alnwick.

En el área de la mina de carbón del museo se encuentra la Capilla Metodista Wesleyana de 1854 que en realidad vino de la aldea real de Beamish (Pit Hill) que se encuentra a las afueras de los terrenos del museo, mientras que la escuela del museo provenía de la cercana aldea de East Stanley.

La hilera de casitas de campo del museo proviene de una calle de Hetton-le-Hole. Esto era Francis Street y en su entorno original estaban espalda con espalda con otra hilera de minas de carbón en la que vivía un antepasado minero de carbón de Kate Middleton, la duquesa de Cambridge.

Sin embargo, la cercana mina a la deriva en el museo llamada Mahogany drift estaba aquí mucho antes de que abriera el museo. The Mahogany Drift fue una de las muchas minas que existían en el área de Beamish. Los edificios mineros del museo también son de la localidad. El engranaje de bobinado y el edificio de la mina son del pozo Beamish Número 2 y dominan el área de la mina del museo.

Cultivo de estilo antiguo en el Museo Beamish. Foto © John Simpson

La parte oriental del museo tiene una temática de 1825 e incluye una vía de acceso a una mina de carbón recreada llamada "Pockerley Wagonway" # 8217 con una réplica funcional de Locomotion Number One de George Stephenson y otra locomotora de vapor temprana llamada & # 8216a steam elephant & # 8217.

La granja cercana llamada Pockerley Manor también tiene un tema de 1825, pero esta granja estaba aquí mucho antes de que abriera el museo. Es una casa de piedra en parte medieval y reemplazó a una antigua casa solariega fortificada de origen normando que se encontraba aquí. Pockerley tiene un nombre en inglés antiguo intrigante que se deriva del anglosajón & # 8216Pocca & # 8217, su nombre significa & # 8216 limpieza del hobgoblin & # 8217. Esta parte del museo también alberga la iglesia medieval de Santa Elena, que fue trasladada aquí pieza por pieza desde Eston cerca de Middlesbrough y reconstruida en el sitio.

Las partes individuales del museo están conectadas entre sí por medio de verdaderos tranvías eléctricos o un autobús descapotable.


Pasado de Burradon y Northumberland

A menudo camino a lo largo de la orilla sur del río Blyth desde el sitio de la antigua mina de carbón Bates hasta Furnace Bridge en Bebside. Durante la marea baja, al otro lado de la orilla se ven los restos visibles, pero incompletos, de postes de madera que sobresalen del barro. Un conjunto está cerca de la desembocadura del Sleekburn, el otro cerca del puente de la carretera A189. Las condiciones anaeróbicas, sumergidas durante largos períodos, sin duda han ayudado a su conservación.

Restos de una estructura de madera lineal en la boca de Sleekburn
Estructura de madera River Blyth North Bank enfrente de Kitty Brewster

Una primera suposición sería que soportaban algún tipo de embarcadero. Pero, ¿cuál fue su propósito exacto? ¿Durante qué período se utilizaron? ¿Y cómo se veían cuando estaban operativos?

Primero miré el mapa de Ordnance Survey de la década de 1850-60 que indicaba las líneas de carriles que terminaban en las estructuras de madera. Claramente, las estructuras eran muelles, o staithes, para la descarga de carga en barcos. Las vías de vagones ya estaban etiquetadas como en desuso en el mapeo de la 1ª edición.

1st Ed OS Map c1860 mostrando viejas vagones marcadas en amarillo (haga clic para agrandar)

La línea de los dos carriles conduce a lo que se etiqueta como Bedlington Colliery. Luego, la vía de transporte se extiende desde Bedlington Pit primero al norte y luego al oeste hacia Netherton.

La carretera que termina cerca del puente de la carretera A189 (Spine Road) se dirige en dirección noroeste, durante unos cientos de metros, antes de girar bruscamente hacia el norte en la vivienda adosada de Puddlers Row, que ya no existe.

Mapa de Greenwood de Northumberland 1828

El mapa de Northumberland de Greenwood de 1828 no indica que hubiera un camino de carretera desde Bedlington Pit hasta la desembocadura del Sleekburn. De hecho, el pozo de Bedlington etiquetado en el mapa de la primera edición de Odnance Survey de c.1860 era Bedlington A Pit, que según el sitio web del Museo de Minería de Durham se abrió en 1838. Por lo tanto, el wagonway de Sleekburn debe ser posterior a 1838. Era claramente un utilidad de corta duración que solo encontró un servicio útil durante la década de 1840-50. Los carriles de vagones fueron los primeros ferrocarriles que transportaban carros tirados por caballos. Los rieles se construyeron con madera.

En el mapa de 1860 se muestra una importante línea ferroviaria de minerales que corre aproximadamente de norte a sur y pasa por el pozo Bedlington A Pit. La línea todavía está en uso hoy. La construcción de esta línea habría facilitado el transporte de carbón, más rápido y menos costoso que el envío a través del río Blyth. La carretera de Sleekburn se habría quedado obsoleta rápidamente.

Es de suponer que la vía de transporte cerca del puente de Spine Road también quedó obsoleta por el nuevo ferrocarril. Pero tenía una historia más larga. Entonces, ¿cuándo se construyó esta vía de transporte y por qué?

El registro de Sitios y Monumentos, tal como se publicó en el sitio web www.KeystothePast.info, indica que el camino de la carreta se mostró en un mapa que data de 1787 y que va desde un pozo llamado Bedlington hasta la orilla norte del río Blyth. También aparece en un mapa de Hirst Head Estate fechado en 1837.

Al no haber podido ver el mapa, no sé dónde estaría el pozo. Presumiblemente, aunque estaba en algún lugar de la ruta de la carretera como se indica en el mapa de Greenwood de 1828 y una empresa primitiva a pequeña escala. Posiblemente fue en el sitio de lo que se convertiría en el pozo Bedlington A.

El río Blyth es donde termina la carretera en este punto. En el punto más bajo de la marea, el río se reduce a nada más que un goteo. El mapa de Greenwoods indica que en 1828 esta ubicación era en realidad un punto de vadeo en el río. El mapeo también indicó que el camino de la carreta atravesaba un pequeño túnel antes de salir a la orilla del río. El registro de Sitios y Monumentos también indicó que el túnel aún existe y se consolidó recientemente.

Una visita al sitio reveló que la autoridad local había erigido un tablero de exhibición de interpretación en la boca del túnel tapiada, que también es inaccesible debido a la vegetación descuidada. Esto es lo que reveló:

Con vistas al túnel en la línea de Wagonway mirando hacia el río

Incluso con la marea alta, las embarcaciones más grandes y aptas para el mar no habrían podido navegar tan lejos río arriba hasta los muelles. Podemos especular que la razón por la que los propietarios del pozo Bedlington A se dedicaron al gasto de construir un camino de vagones hasta la desembocadura del Sleekburn, más abajo, fue que el agua era más profunda durante períodos más largos, lo que permitía tiempos de operación más prolongados. Un bloque cercano de viviendas adosadas llamado Keelman's Row se muestra en el mapeo del sistema operativo 1st Edition y podría ser una pista sobre cómo funcionaba el sistema de transporte. También había un Keelman's Row mucho más abajo en Blyth.

Los keelmen formaron una sección grande y conocida de la población de Newcastle en el siglo XVIII. Esto es de Wikipedia:

El uso de botes de quilla en el Blyth tampoco está bien documentado en otros lugares. Claramente, solo había una pequeña fracción de la cantidad de hombres de quilla trabajando en el Blyth en comparación con el Tyne. El puerto de Blyth no se desarrolló hasta la década de 1850. Antes de este momento, la cantidad de barcos que podían utilizar el puerto era limitada.

Un estudio más detenido de la estructura del embarcadero, o staithes, indica algunos restos de una característica, unida a la estructura principal por medio de un pivote, lo que indica un mecanismo más sofisticado de lo que es obvio a primera vista. Es posible que el staithes se haya mejorado y ampliado cuando también comenzó a ser utilizado por las herrerías cercanas.


Pelton

Pelton, al sur de Ouston, tiene sus orígenes en la época sajona, aunque se discute el significado del nombre. Podría significar "aldea con una empalizada" o "aldea cerca de la colina en forma de pala". Aparentemente se refiere a una pala de forma triangular & # 8211 si alguna de las colinas locales puede describirse como semejante a tal forma.

Pelton Village está situado en Pelton Lane, que forma parte de la calle principal. Llamado "Pelton Lonnin" en el pasado, une Pelton con el centro de Chester-le-Street. Históricamente, Pelton Lane se conmemoraba en una canción popular de North Country llamada "Pelton Lonnin". Las palabras que tradicionalmente se cantaban a los niños del distrito de Pelton eran las siguientes y la mayoría de las líneas se repetían varias veces:

Los cerdos vienen Jingling por Pelton Lonnin
Hay cinco cerdos negros y nunca un extraño
Tres en el dique y dos en el lonnin
Hay cinco cerdos negros y nunca un extraño

En 1320 Pelton había pertenecido a la familia Burdon y pasó a los Redhughs, Whelpingtons y Neville, cuyas tierras fueron confiscadas en 1569. Las minas de carbón en Pelton Fell trajeron un crecimiento de la población en el siglo XIX, pero ya había una población minera sustancial en el zona en el siglo XVIII.

John Wesley

John Wesley, el fundador del metodismo predicó en la aldea de Pelton en 1743 y 1780. En 1743 comentó:

“Mientras predicaba en Pelton, uno de los viejos mineros, no muy acostumbrado a cosas de este tipo, en medio del sermón, comenzó a gritar 'amain', por mera satisfacción y alegría del corazón. Pero su habitual muestra de aprobación (que me sorprendió un poco al principio) fue darme una palmada en la espalda ".


Historia de los ferrocarriles en Northumberland

El camino de la carreta parece haber corrido desde Bigges Main Colliery hasta Staiths en Tyne.

Daily Mail: la vía de vagones de madera construida hace más de 200 años, descubierta cerca de la antigua mina de carbón, es el "ejemplo más antiguo de ferrocarril de ancho estándar jamás encontrado".

Consulte la ubicación en Google Street View y www-old-maps.co.uk 430000,565700 (haga clic en "Desactivar extensión de impresión")

Vía de madera Plessey corrió desde boxes cerca de Plessey Checks NZ2479 hasta Blyth NZ3181. Se inauguró a finales del siglo XVII y se cerró en 1813. La carretera A192 sigue la ruta durante unos pocos kilómetros.

Mapas de Blyth -
Geograph NZ3181 - Historia británica - Microsoft Virtual Earth - Wikimapia - Google Maps
Comunidades de Northumberland - Blyth
Mapas antiguos que muestran "Plessay Old Wagonway" en el mapa 1: 10,560 de 1865, coordenadas 431500_580800.
El Hospital Blyth se construyó en el sitio de la Estación, coordenadas 431000_581600.

Vía de madera Wylam abrió en 1748. Más tarde tenía rieles de hierro antes de cerrarse en 1867. William Hedley construyó locomotoras para transportar carbón desde Wylam NZ1164 hasta las estaciones de Lemington NZ1864. Puffing Billy de 1813 se encuentra en el Museo de Ciencias de Londres. Wylam Dilly de 1814 se encuentra en el Royal Scottish Museum de Edimburgo.
Desde entonces, el curso del Tyne se ha modificado para evitar el largo bucle en Lemington. La mayor parte de la ruta Wylam Waggonway fue utilizada por el ferrocarril Scotswood, Newburn y Wylam en 1875. La cabaña de George Stephenson se encuentra junto a la ruta cerca de Wylam.
Comunidades de Northumberland - Wylam
Killingworth Waggonway - C.R.Warn en su libro Vías de vagón y primeros ferrocarriles de Northumberland afirma que en 1764 se abrió un camino de vagones de madera desde Killingworth Moor hasta Willington Quay.
Ordnance Survey muestra un camino de vagones de hierro desde Killingworth Old Pit NZ2870 hasta Killingworth Drops NZ3166 en el río Tyne. Esta vía de vagones llegó a Burradon Colliery NZ2772. Dial Cottage NZ2770 de George Stephenson estaba en Paradise Row cerca de Killingworth Colliery en West Moor.
Deriva de Kitty era un túnel de aproximadamente 3 millas que se extendía desde East Kenton hasta Scotswood. El extremo noreste del túnel no se ha mostrado en este sitio web, pero podría estar en el cuadrado NZ2267. Christopher Bedlington lo abrió en 1796 tanto para drenar las minas como para transportar carbón al Tyne. los túnel subterráneo se muestra en el mapa de 1812 por Robert Galloway. Corría hacia el oeste de la carretera principal de Montague.
La ciclopedia de 1819 de Abraham Rees da un relato de visitantes que viajaban en vagones de carbón vacíos por el túnel. Posteriormente, el carbón se desvió a la vía de transporte de Kenton y Coxlodge, que se inauguró en 1808.
Ferrocarril Shilbottle Colliery abrió en 1809 de Shilbottle Colliery NU1808 a Alnwick NU1912. Se muestra en el mapa de 1828 por Greenwood. El extremo norte de esta ruta todavía se conoce como Waggon Way Road. También había un tranvía desde Longdyke Pit NU2010 a Alnwick y un ferrocarril desde Grange Pit NU2107 hasta ECML NU2308.
Comunidades de Northumberland - Shilbottle
Whitley Waggonway abrió en 1811 desde pozos cerca de Whitley Bay NZ3571 y corrió hasta North Shields NZ3668. La mayor parte de la ruta fue utilizada por Blyth and Tyne Railway en 1860.
Backworth Waggonway abrió en 1818 y corrió desde Backworth A Pit NZ3071 hasta Whitehill Point NZ3566 en el río Tyne. La vía de acceso se extendió a Backworth B Pit NZ2972 y West Cramlington Colliery NZ2675.
Cramlington Waggonway corrió desde Cramlington Colliery (1825) NZ2876 hasta Cramlington Staiths NZ3366 en el río Tyne. Había sucursales en Amelia Pit NZ2778, Hartford Colliery NZ2679, Nelson Colliery NZ2677 y Dudley Colliery NZ2573.
Comunidades de Northumberland - Cramlington
Seaton Burn Waggonway comenzó en 1826 como Brunton and Shields Railway, desde Brunton NZ2270 a través de Wideopen NZ2472, Hillhead Engine NZ2872 y Shiremoor Engine NZ3170 hasta Staiths NZ3366 en el río Tyne. Se extendió desde Wideopen Colliery hasta Seaton Burn Colliery NZ2374 en 1837, cruzando Great North Road cerca del Six Mile Bridge. En el siglo XX había sucursales en Brenkley Colliery NZ2274, Mill Hill Pit NZ2172, Havannah Drift Mine NZ2171 y Weetslade Colliery Lizzie Pit NZ2572.
Netherton Waggonway abrió en 1828 de Netherton NZ2381 a Morpeth NZ2085. Más tarde vinculó a Howard Pit, Frances Pit y Nethertonhall Colliery con Bedlington. El mapa de 1828 de Greenwood muestra los primeros ferrocarriles alrededor de Bedlington Iron Works NZ2782. Se muestra el extremo este de Netherton Waggonway. Netherton ahora se escribe Nedderton.
Comunidades de Northumberland - Nedderton
Walbottle Waggonway (o Wallbottle) - Un vagón de hierro corría desde North Walbottle Colliery NZ1868 hasta Coronation Pit NZ1767, Blucher Pit NZ1766 y Lemington Staiths NZ1864. Otra sucursal iba desde Duke Pit NZ1666 hasta Lemington Staiths.
Coxlodge Waggonway - También conocido como Gosforth and Kenton Waggonway. Esto iba desde Coxlodge Colliery Jubilee Pit NZ2368 y Regent Pit NZ2468 hasta Coxlodge Staiths NZ3065 en Wallsend en el río Tyne. La mayor parte de la ruta fue utilizada por Tyneside Tramways y Tramroads desde 1901 hasta 1930. Esta empresa operó tranvías eléctricos de dos pisos hasta 1930 y luego autobuses desde 1930 hasta 1975.
Fawdon Waggonway - Los mapas de la encuesta previa a la artillería muestran carriles de vagones que convergen en un motor en NZ2169 (más tarde Bell House). El mapa de la primera edición de 1864 Ordnance Survey muestra West Brunton Engine NZ2271 en Fawdon Old Waggonway y Middle Brunton Engine NZ2370. El mapa de Ordnance Survey de la década de 1920 muestra un nuevo Fawdon Waggonway que se dirige a Coxlodge Colliery Jubilee Pit NZ2368.
George y Robert Stephenson
Stephenson's Engine Works abrió en 1823 en Forth Banks, Newcastle upon Tyne, donde Locomoción y Cohete se construyeron.
www.robertstephensontrust.com y fotografías de Newcastle, Stephenson Works

Fotografía aérea de Microsoft Bing Maps de Forth Banks.
Historia británica escala 1: 2500, mapa de 1861 de Engine Works de Stephenson en South Street.

Ferrocarril de Newcastle y Carlisle (N & ampCR)
La primera sección se abrió en 1835 entre Blaydon y Hexham. Carlisle to Blenkinsopp Colliery abrió en 1836. Haydon Bridge to Hexham también abrió en 1836. Blenkinsopp Colliery to Haydon Bridge abrió en 1838. En 1837 la línea se extendió desde Blaydon a Redheugh. En 1839 hizo una conexión en Redheugh con Brandling Junction Railway. También en 1839 la línea cruzó el río Tyne de Blaydon a Scotswood y luego pasó por Elswick hasta una estación temporal en Newcastle. En 1839, la línea estaba abierta entre Carlisle y Newcastle. En 1851 obtuvo acceso a la estación central de Newcastle. El puente ferroviario de Scotswood se incendió en 1860. Un puente temporal fue reemplazado por el puente de hierro existente en 1871. El N & ampCR fue adquirido por el NER en 1862.

Historia británica escala 1: 2500, mapa de 1861 de la estación central de Newcastle. Se pueden ver numerosos platos pequeños entre las plataformas. La estación se construyó sobre el curso de Newcastle Town Wall.

Ruta a través de la estación central de Newcastle, Elswick, Scotswood, Blaydon, Ryton, Wylam, Prudhoe, Eltringham (más tarde estación Mickley), Stocksfield, Ridingmill, Túnel de Farnley, Corbridge, Hexham, Cruce de condados fronterizos, Puente de Warden, Cuartetas, Haydon Bridge, Bardon Mill, Túnel de Whitchester, Haltwhistle, Blenkinsopp Colliery, Cabeza verde, La pared de Hadrian, Rosehill (más tarde Estación Gilsland), Low Row, Naworth, Milton (más tarde Estación Brampton Junction), Puente Medio Gelt, Corte de Cowran, How Mill, Heads Nook, Wetheral, Scotby, Carlisle London Road Station NY4154
Estación Carlisle Citadel NY4055 desde 1864

El ferrocarril Brampton de Lord Carlisle iba desde Milton hasta Kirkhouse Iron Foundry, Hallbank Gate (Hallbankgate), Clowsgill Lime Works, Black Sike Coal Pit, Howgill Mines, Tindalefell Spelter Works, Midgeholme Colliery NY6458 (Cumberland / Northumberland border), Haltonlee Gate y Lambley Colliery. La línea se unió a la sucursal de Alston en Lambley Station NY6758.

1836 Rama de Milton a Brampton Town.

1852 N & ampCR Alston Branch con estaciones en Haltwhistle, Featherstone, Coanwood, Lambley, Slaggyford y Alston.
www.south-tynedale-railway.org.uk - Sociedad de preservación del ferrocarril de South Tynedale

www.cumbria-railways.co.uk/brampton_railway.html - Descripción y mapa de Brampton Railway. Un camino de vagones de madera transportaba carbón a Brampton Staith en el siglo XVIII.

Ferrocarril de Newcastle y North Shields (N & ampNSR) abrió en 1839 desde Carliol Square NZ2564 en Newcastle vía Ouseburn Viaduct NZ2664, Heaton, Wallsend, Willington Viaduct NZ3166 y Percy Main hasta North Shields NZ3568. Los viaductos de madera laminada fueron reconstruidos en hierro con el mismo diseño. La estación Carliol Square se pasó por alto con la apertura del viaducto de Manors a la estación central de Newcastle. La ruta N & ampNSR de Manors a Heaton Junction sigue siendo parte del ECML. La ruta N & ampNSR de Walkergate a North Shields es utilizada por Tyne and Wear Metro.

Mapas antiguos - Historia británica escala 1: 2500, mapa de 1861 de la terminal de Carliol Square.

Microsoft Virtual Earth: "Vista panorámica" de los viaductos de Ouseburn. El viaducto del norte es Newcastle y North Shields Railway, ahora la East Coast Main Line (ECML). El viaducto del medio es Tyne and Wear Metro, construido a fines de la década de 1970.

Microsoft Virtual Earth: "Vista panorámica" del viaducto Willington, ahora utilizado por Tyne and Wear Metro.

El ferrocarril de Newcastle y Berwick abrió en 1847 la extensión de North Shields a la antigua estación de Tynemouth NZ3669.
Mapas antiguos: mapas de la historia británica de Tynemouth.

Ferrocarril de Blyth y Tyne (B & ampTR) comenzó en 1840 como un camino de vagones desde Seghill Colliery hasta Northumberland Dock en el río Tyne. Fue construido para que Seghill Colliery pudiera evitar el uso de Cramlington Waggonway.

1840 Seghill Colliery NZ2874 hasta Northumberland Dock NZ3366 en el río Tyne.
1846 Seghill hasta Hartley NZ3176.
1846 Hartley a Newsham NZ3079 y Cowpen Colliery NZ2980.
1846 Cowpen Colliery Junction a Blyth NZ3181.
1846 Hartley a Dairy House NZ3275 en Avenue Branch, con una línea privada a Seaton Sluice.
1847 Se utilizó por primera vez el nombre Blyth and Tyne.
1857 Newsham a Bebside y Bedlington NZ2782, usando una línea 1850.
1857 Bedlington a Choppington NZ2583, Hepscott NZ2284 y Morpeth NZ2085.
1859 Bedlington a North Seaton NZ2786, con un ferrocarril privado a North Seaton Colliery.
1860 Dairy House Junction a Monkseaton NZ3472, Cullercoats NZ3570 y North Shields NZ3669 en Avenue Branch. La ruta Whitley Waggonway se utilizó en el extremo sur.
1864 Monkseaton a Backworth NZ3071, Benton NZ2768, South Gosforth NZ2567 y Newcastle NZ2564.

La terminal en Newcastle estaba en New Bridge Street. El Puente Nuevo fue construido en 1812 sobre Pandon Dene como parte del camino hacia North Shields. Pandon Burn se arqueó más tarde y Pandon Dene se completó. New Bridge Terminus se construyó en la tierra recuperada. En 1909, la NER continuó la línea hacia el sur para enlazar con la ECML en Manors. Esto completó el circuito hacia la estación central de Newcastle.

El NER abrió un almacén de mercancías de hormigón armado en 1907 en New Bridge Street. Esto fue bombardeado en la Segunda Guerra Mundial, el contenido ardiendo durante días. El esqueleto de este almacén se mantuvo durante décadas hasta que fue reemplazado por un Warner Cinema. El sitio ahora es parte de la Universidad de Northumbria.

La rotonda de la autopista central A167 ahora ocupa el sitio de New Bridge Terminus. Al norte de Jesmond, la ruta B & ampTR a través de South Gosforth es utilizada por Tyne and Wear Metro. B & ampTR Jesmond Station es ahora un restaurante.

Mapas antiguos - Historia británica - Mapas de Microsoft Virtual Earth de New Bridge Street.

El mapa de 1828 de Greenwood muestra el plano inclinado de Cramlington Colliery y Seghill Colliery. También se muestra una vía de acceso a Seaton Sluice.
El mapa de 1828 de Greenwood muestra los primeros ferrocarriles alrededor de Bedlington Iron Works NZ2782. John Birkinshaw hizo los rieles de hierro forjado en Bedlington Iron Works para el ferrocarril de Stockton y Darlington de 1825. Estos rieles conservaron la forma de vientre de pez de los rieles de hierro fundido anteriores, pero tenían unos 5 metros de largo.
www.ntsra.org.uk - el museo de la Asociación de Ferrocarriles de Vapor de North Tyneside se encuentra en Middle Engine Lane NZ3269. Los trenes de vapor van a Percy Main NZ3367.
Comunidades de Northumberland - Blyth

Túnel de Victoria abrió en 1842 desde Spital Tongues Colliery NZ2365 hasta Ouseburn NZ2664 en el río Tyne. Pronto se cerró para el tráfico de carbón, pero se convirtió en un refugio antiaéreo durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial de 1939 a 1945. Todavía corre debajo del área del Puente Barras de Newcastle.
Historia británica 1: 2500 escala 1872 mapa y mapas antiguos - mapas de Spital Tongues Colliery.
Historia británica 1: 2500 escala 1872 mapa del puente de Barras. En un momento, la Great North Road cruzó Pandon Burn aquí en un puente.
Historia británica 1: 2500 escala 1884 mapa de Spital Tongues Staiths y entrada del túnel Victoria cerca de Glasshouse Bridge, Ouseburn.
www.victoriatunnel.info por Phil Thirkell.
Página de Wikipedia sobre el túnel Victoria.
Ferrocarril de Newcastle y Berwick (N & ampBR) abrió en 1847 desde Tweedmouth, uniéndose a Newcastle y North Shields Railway en Heaton Junction. El N & ampBR también abrió la extensión desde North Shields hasta la antigua estación de Tynemouth NZ3669. En el mismo año (1847) el N & ampBR pasó a manos del Newcastle and Darlington Junction Railway, que pronto pasó a formar parte del York, Newcastle y Berwick Railway.
El puente de alto nivel se abrió en 1849 sobre el río Tyne, uniendo Gateshead y Newcastle. La estación central de Newcastle estaba vinculada a Manors en el antiguo ferrocarril de Newcastle y North Shields. El Royal Border Bridge se inauguró en 1850, cruzando el río Tweed hasta la estación de Berwick.
En 1854, el YN & ampBR se convirtió en parte del Ferrocarril del Noreste (NER). La ruta ahora es parte del ECML. Hubo descarrilamientos en la curva cerrada al sur de la estación Morpeth en 1969 y 1984.

Ruta a través de Berwick upon Tweed, Puente Real de la FronteraTweedmouth, Scremerston, Goswick, Beal, Smeafield, Belford, Abrevaderos LuckerLucker, Newham, Chathill, Fallodon, Christonbank, Little Mill, Longhoughton, Viaducto de Lesbury, Alnmouth, Warkworth, Acklington, Amble Junction, Chevington, Widdrington, Longhirst, Pegswood, Morpeth, Netherton (más tarde Stannington Station), Viaducto de Plessey, Plessey, Cramlington, Annitsford, Killingworth, Benton (más tarde Forest Hall Station), Unión de la cantera de Benton y Heaton Junction

www.senrug.co.uk - Grupo de usuarios de trenes del sudeste de Northumberland - Estación Morpeth.

Ferrocarril de York, Newcastle y Berwick (YN y ampBR)
1849 Amble Branch iba desde Amble Junction NZ2298 al norte de Chevington en el ECML hasta Broomhill Station NU2401 y Amble Station NU2604. El servicio de pasajeros no comenzó hasta 1879. Hubo una extensa explotación minera a cielo abierto en el área alrededor de la antigua RAF Acklington. Los vehículos pesados ​​a cielo abierto utilizaban carreteras privadas que seguían la pista perimetral del aeródromo y parte de la rama Amble.

1849 Tweedmouth a Sprouston vía Velvethall, Norham, Twizell, Cornhill (rebautizada como Coldstream Station 1873), Wark (rebautizada como Sunilaws Station), Frontera Inglaterra / Escocia NT7937, Carham, estación de Sprouston NT7635
El North British Railway continuó la línea en 1851 desde Sprouston hasta la estación Kelso NT7333 (Maxwellheugh, Maxwell Heugh)

1850 Alnwick Branch iba desde la estación de Alnwick NU1912 hasta la estación de Alnmouth Junction NU2311, que originalmente se llamaba Bilton Junction.
www.avrs.co.uk - Aln Valley Railway Society planea reabrir la ruta.

Ferrocarril Ashington Coal Company corrió desde Ashington Colliery NZ2688 con sucursales a Linton Colliery NZ2691, Ellington Colliery NZ2891, Lynemouth Colliery NZ2990 y Woodhorn Colliery NZ2888. Esta extensa red operaba trenes de pasajeros para mineros. En la década de 1980 se construyó un ferrocarril mineral desde la red Ashington Colliery hasta la ECML. Ellington Colliery fue la última mina profunda en el North East Coalfield, y cerró en febrero de 2005.
www.experiencewoodhorn.com - Museo Woodhorn Colliery.
Ferrocarril del norte de Sunderland - Ferrocarril privado 1898 desde la estación Chathill NU1827 hasta Seahouses NU2132
Waggonway de Whittle Colliery Corría desde ECML NU2205 hasta Whittle Colliery NU1706, que estaba al este de Great North Road, cerca de Newton on the Moor. Whittle Colliery y Shilbottle Colliery suministraron carbón a la Cooperative Wholesale Society (CWS).
Ferrocarril del noreste en Northumberland (NER)
1868 Sucursal Allendale del cruce de los condados fronterizos en el antiguo ferrocarril Newcastle y Carlisle. Estaciones en Elrington, Langley, Staward y Catton Road (más tarde Allendale Station)

1870 Quayside Branch corría desde el ECML al este de Manors Station NZ2564 a través de un túnel empinado y curvo hasta Newcastle Quayside. Más tarde se construyeron dos locomotoras eléctricas utilizando una fuente de alimentación aérea y un tercer raíl.

1878 Línea Tweedmouth Dock.

1879 La línea Riverside Branch se bifurcaba en el ECML entre el viaducto Ouseburn y la estación Heaton hasta la plataforma Byker NZ265648. El túnel todavía pasa por debajo de las tiendas en Shields Road en Byker NZ266647. Las estaciones estaban en St. Peter's NZ275636, St.Anthony's NZ284631, Walker NZ295642, Carville NZ303662, Point Pleasant NZ314664, Willington Quay NZ323665 y Percy Main NZ337673. Esta línea fue posteriormente electrificada mediante el sistema de tercer carril.

1882 Coast Line vía Monkseaton, Whitley Bay, Cullercoats y Tynemouth Station NZ3669. Se hizo un cruce con la línea N & ampBR cerca de la estación Tynemouth original.

1887 Alnwick y Cornhill Branch a través de Coldstream, Mindrum, Kirknewton, Akeld, Wooler, Ilderton, Wooperton, Hedgeley (Powburn), Glanton, Whittingham, Túnel de Hillhead, Edlingham, estación de Alnwick NU1912
La estación de Coldstream NT8639 estaba en Cornhill, Northumberland, Inglaterra
En 1948, la vía entre Wooler e Ilderton resultó dañada por las inundaciones. No resultó económico reparar el hueco y desde entonces hasta el cierre la línea se trabajó como dos tramos separados.

1904 Electrificación de la línea costera de Newcastle en respuesta al éxito de los tranvías eléctricos. Los cruces en Benton NZ2869 unieron la línea N & ampBR a la línea B & ampTR. Esto permitió un servicio eléctrico expreso de Monkseaton a Newcastle a través del ECML.

1905 Ponteland Branch vía South Gosforth, West Gosforth (ahora Regent Center Metro Station), Coxlodge (ahora Fawdon Metro Station), Kenton (ahora Bankfoot Metro Station), Callerton y Ponteland Station NZ1672
Esta línea reabrió como Tyne and Wear Metro, con la terminal en el aeropuerto de Newcastle NZ1871.

1906 Puente King Edward VII NZ2463 entre Newcastle y Gateshead. Esto evitó dar marcha atrás en la estación central de Newcastle para los trenes que circulan entre Edimburgo y Londres Kings Cross.

1909 Manors Station enlaza NZ2564 que une la línea Blyth y Tyne con la línea Newcastle y North Shields. Esto completó el North Tyneside Loop, lo que permitió que los trenes eléctricos circularan desde Newcastle a través de Jesmond, South Gosforth, Benton, Whitley Bay, North Shields y Wallsend hasta Newcastle.

1913 Ferrocarril ligero Darras Hall desde la estación Ponteland NZ1672 hasta la estación Darras Hall NZ1571

1914 Seaton Sluice Branch vía Monkseaton, Brierdene y Collywell Bay Station NZ3376. This unopened branch was dismantled for the War Effort 1914 to 1918 and was not rebuilt.

1915 Monkseaton Station built on a new site.

1923 NER becomes part of the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER).

1928 - Tyne Commission Quay opened on the riverward side of Albert Edward Dock.
There was an LNER rail link to Newcastle Central Station. Port of Tyne

North British Railway (NBR)
1862 Border Counties Section joining the NBR Waverley Route from Carlisle to Edinburgh.
Route via Riccarton Junction Station NY5397, Saughtree, Dawstonburn Viaduct, Deadwater, England/Scotland Border, Kielder, Kielder Viaduct, Plashetts, Falstone, Thorneyburn, Tarset, Bellingham, Redesmouth Junction, Wark, Barrasford, Chollerton, Chollerford, Hadrian's Wall, Wall, River Tyne Viaduct y Border Counties Junction NY9265. North British services from Hawick then ran via the N&CR line to Newcastle.
(Chollerford to Border Counties Junction opened 1858 as the Border Counties Railway).
Old Maps - maps of Plashetts, now submerged under Kielder Water

www.wrha.org.uk - Waverley Route Heritage Association. Track is being laid between Whitrope Tunnel and Riccarton Junction Station.

1862 Wansbeck Valley Railway ran from Reedsmouth Junction to Morpeth. NBR trains reversed into the Blyth and Tyne Railway Morpeth Station. This was an attempt by the NBR to gain access to Newcastle, using the B&TR lines. In 1871 new junctions allowed NBR and B&TR trains to run into the NER Morpeth Station. The B&TR Morpeth Station then became a goods shed.
(Also known as the Wanney Line o Wannie Line). Route via Morpeth Station NZ2085, Meldon, Angerton, Middleton, Scots Gap, Knowesgate, Woodburn, Broomhope Siding and Redesmouth Junction Station NY8681

1870 Northumberland Central Railway via Rothbury Station NU0601, Brinkburn, Lee Siding, Fontburn, Ewesley, Longwitton and Scots Gap Station NZ0386

Scotswood, Newburn and Wylam Railway opened the line along the North bank of the River Tyne in 1875, following most of the route of the Wylam Waggonway. There were stations at Wylam NZ1164, Heddon-on-the-Wall, Newburn, Lemington and Scotswood NZ2063. Wylam Railway Bridge NZ1164 opened in 1876 across the River Tyne, joining the SN&WR to the Newcastle and Carlisle line. The SN&WR was taken over by the NER in 1883.
Kirkheaton Colliery Waggonway - This was an isolated coalfield with pits at Kirkheaton NZ0478, Ingoe NZ0374, Fenwick NZ0572, Muckleridge NZ0473, Todridge NZ0072 and Boghall NZ0477. The mineral railway opened in 1927 and ran from Belsay Colliery NZ0476 to Darras Hall NZ1571 where it joined the Darras Hall Light Railway to Ponteland NZ1672.

Rural Branch Lines of Northumberland by C R Warn.
Published by Frank Graham 1975, ISBN 0859130772
Contains a page about the Kirkheaton Colliery Waggonway.

Bastles were built as fortified farmhouses to protect against raids by the Border Reivers. Livestock were kept on the ground floor. The family lived above. The walls are up to 1 metre thick. Some bastles have been modernised with living accomodation on the ground floor. Modern Ordnance Survey maps of Northumberland incorrectly describe them as Castillos.

Bastions and Belligerents by John F Dodds, 1999
Keepdate Publishing, ISBN 1899506454


ARTÍCULOS RELACIONADOS

Instead, they stumbled across the 25-metre stretch of wooden rails, an early contributor to the mining industry which transformed the North East.

The waggonway is made up of a heavy duty 'main way' with two sets of rails laid on top of each other to preserve their longevity, with a loop from the main line descending into a dip.

That depression would have been filled with water where coal wagons' wooden rails were rested to stop them drying out and cracking. In the middle of the loop is a stone elevation where the horse pulling the waggon would have stood.

Pioneering: The waggonways helped the North East develop and were the precursor to Britain's train network

Breakthrough: Standard-gauge railways ended up being used for steam trains around the world

A waggonway from the former mining town of Tanfield in County Durham

'The wooden waggonway uncovered by the excavation is the direct ancestor of the modern standard-gauge railway,' Mr Carlton said.

With horses and carts eventually replaced by steam trains, railways quickly became the fastest form of transportation the world had ever seen and facilitated the creation of the modern world.

In Newcastle and the surrounding areas, the railways allowed coal to be transported around Britain, leading to the rapid growth of the region.

Mr Carlton added: 'The coal industry was so vitally important for the North East, and there are so few signs of it left now.'

The archaeologists' find is remarkably well-preserved - Mr Williams said: 'It looks as if it has just been covered up and left yesterday.'

The discovery has revealed features which were previously known only from drawings and the notebooks of engineers such as John Buddle, who lived near the dig site.

Work: The dig on the former site of the Neptune shipyard comes as it is redeveloped for new construction

Preserved: The wooden rails have not rotted because they have been kept from biodegrading under the ground

'We have drawings describing what has been found by the dig but this is the real thing,' said local historian Les Turnbull. 'It is tremendous to be able to see these features rather than just looking at them in historic drawings and notebooks.

'Because the line is standard railway gauge, it is tremendously important as the earliest example in the world and this is of international significance. The waggonway complex is at the forefront of late 18th-century engineering.'

Mr Turnbull, who has written a book on waggonways, claimed that the discovery was more important than any Roman find could be.

'One of the gifts of the North East to world history is the development of the railways,' he said. 'Coal and the railways are Tyneside's heritage and this waggonway was part of that, because without the waggonways the coalfields would not have developed.'

In the late 18th century, hundreds of waggons ran from collieries to wharves on the Tyne, where coal would be loaded onto brigs for transport to London and abroad.

The excavated remains were part of the Willington waggonway, which took in collieries at Willington Quay and Bigges Main on the edge of Wallsend.

In 1801 the Killingworth waggonway, for which George Stephenson's first locomotives were built, joined the Willington line.

Stephenson and his son Robert went on to build locomotives at their works in South Street in Newcastle to the Willington gauge, which was 4ft 8½in wide - this became the standard width for railways throughout Britain and much of the world.

COAL FROM NEWCASTLE: THE RISE AND FALL OF THE WAGGONWAY

A waggonway was a timber track used for transporting coal in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

They were an ingenious solution to a problem facing coal barons in Northumberland and Durham - namely, how to efficiently get coal from pit-head to port.

The alternative, slower, option was via pack-horse or ox cart.

A waggonway was a timber track used for transporting coal in the late 18th and early 19th centuries

Where possible, the waggonway would slope gently downhill so that the waggons could roll under their own weight.

The driver sitting on the back would control the brake while the horse trotted behind on a tether.

After the contents were emptied, the horse would pull the empty cart back up the slope.

The rails on the Newcastle waggonway were made of wood, four or five inches thick and five or six inches broad.

Although the use of wood as a travelling surface was not new - Neolithic man had used it for carrying trackways across bogs - it was the use of the flanged wheel, which made all the difference, allowing the wagon to move snugly on the track.

By 1810, the wooden waggonways began to be phased out, replaced by iron.

Over the years, the wooden networks fell into disrepair.

In 2000, North Tyneside Council successfully bid for £2million worth of funding to transform more than 30 miles of routes as part of the Government's Liveability Fund.

The former haulage routes were made into a welcoming and accessible community leisure, travel and learning resource.


Woodern Wagonway - History

You may remember the remains of a section of a wooden waggonway were discovered underneath the former Neptune Shipyard not far from Segedunum Roman Fort in the summer of 2013. Before being redeveloped, the site was investigated by archaeologists due to its close proximity to Segedunum and therefore the potential for Roman remains in the area. The unexpected discovery of the rare and substantial remains of an early railway instead was a very welcome surprise. Constructed in 1785, the section of waggonway was identified as part of the route of the Willington Waggonway by local historian and author Les Turnbull. The Willington Waggonway was the collective name for a series of waggonways which were used by horse-drawn waggons to transport coal from collieries at Willington Quay and Bigges Main on the edge of Wallsend to the Tyne for shipment.

The excavated remains of the Willington Waggonway. Photograph © The Archaeological Practice Ltd.

During the 18 th century, the North East emerged as the centre of mining technology and earned a place on the world stage because of the skills of its engineers and miners. The site is considered to be internationally significant for the archaeological record in terms of the development of railway technology. Only one other wooden waggonway has previously been professionally excavated and recorded in Tyne and Wear, that at Fencehouses on Wearside in 1995. However, no recovery of the remains were carried out and the extent of their survival is unknown. The discovery of a section of the Willington Waggonway presents a rare opportunity to study the substantial and well-preserved remains of one of Tyneside’s wooden waggonways.

Excavation Plan. Image © The Archaeological Practice Ltd.

The significance

The excavation at the Neptune shipyard unearthed the most complete and best-preserved section of early wooden railway to have been found anywhere in the world. It also included the only ‘wash hole’ for cleaning and wetting waggon wheels to have ever been professionally excavated and recorded. We knew that wash holes existed through documentary sources, but none had been discovered previously. This gives us an amazing opportunity to learn about their construction and how they were used by the large volume of traffic on the waggonway.

Excavated Wash Hole. Photograph © The Archaeological Practice Ltd.

Re-used ships’ timbers also appear to have been used in the construction or the maintenance of the waggonway. If these timbers originate from types of vessels which no longer survive then there is also the potential to learn about their construction.

Re-used ship timber. Photograph © The Archaeological Practice Ltd.

Peg in piece of re-used ship timber. Photograph © The Archaeological Practice Ltd.

Perhaps most significantly, the excavated remains of the Willington Waggonway is the earliest railway that has been discovered which was built to what became the international ‘standard’ gauge, defined as 4’ 8 1/2” or 1435mm. The later Killingworth Waggonway, which was used by George Stephenson during his development of the steam locomotive, used part of the Willington Waggonway to reach the river Tyne. The gauge of the Willington Waggonway (based on the earlier Benton Way) therefore set the gauge for the Killingworth Waggonway and ultimately the rest of the world. Today approximately 55% of railways in the world are standard gauge.

Studying and analysing such a significant and well preserved early railway will allow us to contribute new information to the archaeological record as well as increase our understanding of the technology and innovations of the time.

What’s happened in the last 3 years?

Thanks to the Arts Council England PRISM (The Preservation of Industrial and Scientific Material) fund, TWAM was able to rescue wooden and stone components within a zone 6 metres in length across the width of the waggonway. Representative and significant components were also collected from other locations on the site.

Timbers in storage prior to conservation. Photograph © The Archaeological Practice Ltd.

Samples of the timbers were analysed at the conservation laboratories of the York Archaeological Trust, providing a baseline assessment of the condition of the timbers in general and of their treatment needs. Based on the results, the timbers required consolidation with Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) wax followed by freeze-drying, a process which can take between 24 and 36 months.

Last summer, TWAM secured funding from the Arts Council England Designation Development Fund which will allow us to research, carry out scientific analysis and explore how the waggonway may be displayed in the future. We also intend to create a scale model, develop a publication as well as run both family friendly and specialist events. The project is now underway and will conclude at the end of March 2018.

The timbers will return to the North East in February 2017 to their new home in the Regional Museum Store at Beamish where the stone components are currently stored. Our hope is that this project will be a step towards full scale reconstruction and public display in the future.

Keep an eye out for regular blog posts on the progress of the project as we uncover the secrets of the Willington Waggonway!

Reconstruction drawing of the excavated section of waggonway in use. Image © The Archaeological Practice Ltd.

The Willington Waggonway Research Programme is funded by the Designation Development Fund, Arts Council England.


Wesen Railway Ticket Center

Wagon ways (or 'train ways') are thought to have developed in Germany in the 1550s to facilitate the transport of ore tubs to and from mines, utilising primitive wooden rails. Such an operation was illustrated in 1556 by Georgius Agricola.

The technology spread across Europe and had certainly arrived in Britain by the early 1600s. The Wollaton Wagonway was probably the earliest British installation, completed in 1604, and recorded as running from Strelley to Wollaton near Nottingham. Another early wagonway is noted at Broseley in Shropshire from 1605 onwards. Huntingdon Beaumont (who was concerned with mining at Strelley) also laid down broad wooden rails near Newcastle upon Tyne, on which a single horse could haul fifty or sixty bushels (130� kg) of coal.


On 26 July 1803, Jessop opened the Surrey Iron Railway in south London - arguably, the world's first public railway, albeit a horse-drawn one. It was not a railway in the modern sense of the word

On 25 March 1807. Mumbles Train",

as it came to be known, is as heart breaking as it is fascinating. Considering its myriad achievements and world records, it's incongruous that the railway isn't more famous. It is disgraceful also that the railway was abruptly dismantled in 1960 (at that time electric tram powered) - 153 years after those historic first steps in 1807. To the commuter age and the world of transport that we take for granted today, this was an innovation equivalent to any. The world's first - and the longest surviving railway until 1960 - is a worthy candidate of the history books.

1603/4 - Between October 1603 and the end of September 1604, Huntingdon Beaumont, partner of the landowner Sir Percival Willoughby, built the first recorded above ground early railway/wagonway. It was approximately two miles in length, running from mines at Strelley to Wollaton in Nottinghamshire, England. It is known as the Wollaton Wagonway. Beaumont built three further wagonways shortly after, near Blyth in Northumberland related to the coal and salt trade. Shortly after the Wollaton Wagonway was built other wagonways are recorded at Broseley near Coalbrookdale in Shropshire. Further waggonways emerged in the English North East.
Horse drawn railway coach, late 18th century


Revolution of Trains

The scenario of the trains completely changed with the introduction of the first stationary steam engine by Thomas Savery in the 17th Century. It is a great step in the history of trains. The functioning of the steam engine is quite less which can’t be used as a train engine. It nearly took 60 years for the transformation of the steam engine into a powerful train.

After a long time, the power of the steam engine is converted into circular motion en el year 1763 by taking the designs of Thomas Newcomen, Thomas Savery and James Watt who invented crankshaft. Most of the inventors started using steam engine into every invention like boats, cars and power trains of all the types and sizes. The concept of the steam engine allowed the motion to take place.

Check out the Palace on Wheels route


2: The Waggonways Arrive

“imployit the maist pairt of his youth in uncuth nations in searching and learning the knawledge for making and practizeing of ingynis and workis for the commodious and aisle transporting of coillis betix the colpotis, sey and salt panes of this realm”

So reads the records of the Privy Council of Scotland of 1606, relating to the granting of a patent to one Thomas Tulloch to build around Inveresk a conveyance for taking coals from the collieries down to the salt pans on the Firth of Forth, provided that it was “ane work and ingyne nocht known in this kingdom at na time of before”. The description by the Privy Council clearly describes an early form of railway – the waggonway, of which there were none in Scotland, and the first in England had appeared at Woolaton, Nottinghamshire, two years previously. Such waggonways had began to appear on the continent, of which there is a surviving woodcut of one such working in Lorraine. Tulloch may have visited these works, hence the reference to “uncuth nations”. This equally however have been a sideswipe at the English.

Whether Thomas Tulloch built his early waggonway is unknown. If it were built however, the location and route would certainly make a great deal of sense. The monks of Newbattle, near Dalkeith, had mined coal from around the year 900 and transported it by road to Prestonpans on the Firth of Forth, where they would barter it for salt, which would then be transported back to Newbattle Abbey. Prestonpans takes it’s very name from the salt pans which were a huge industry in the area, and which supplied a great deal of Scotland, while the road which the monks of Newbattle followed is to this day called Salters Road, which narrowly bypasses Inveresk. Prestonpans equally was the location of the salt pans referred to by the Privy Council. If Tulloch’s conveyance was built, then that means that Edinburgh had a means for conveying coal and salt nearby, which many European capitals did not yet have. If it were built, sadly there are no vestiges of it remaining today.

Equally there are no remains of what may have been another early waggonway, which was recorded to have been built around Stacks, near Bo’ness, in 1646. Of the third example however there is absolutely no doubt, for the trackbed of it ramains to this day.

The Yorks Building Company had been given lands seized by the crown in East Lothian after the Earl of Winton supported the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715. In 1722 they opened what is today widely recognised as the first railway in Scotland, the Tranent Waggonway. Approximately 12 miles to the east of the centre of Edinburgh, this was a waggonway from the collieries around the East Lothian town of Tranent, down to the harbour of Port Seton, and which later incoporated a westwards branch to Prestonpans (the importance of salt in Scots history cannot be underestimated).

On a side note, for a waggonway which owed it’s existence to a Jacobite defeat, the Tranent Waggonway became the first railway in the world to be used in battle tactics and a Jacobite victory. Following his victories in the highlands, Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) had marched steadily south and taken Edinburgh by September 1745. The government sent troops under Sir John Cope to head the Jacobites off and deny them a route to England. They lined their guns up along the Tranent Waggonway on 20 September 1745, then retired for the evening. Lord Elcho, seeing this took a phalanx of Jacobite troops up to tree cover near Tranent. The following morning the Jacobites attacked without warning (Cope was apparently still asleep) from the front. As the government troops desparately tried to repel this assualt, Elcho and his highlanders came charging down the waggonway, attacking them on their left flank. The result was a complete rout, over in less than an hour, which saw Sir John Cope and many of his men flee the field. This is remembered to this day in the Scots song Hey, Johnnie Cope which has become a sort of unofficial anthem of East Lothian

Hey, Johnnie Cope are ye wauking yet?
And are your drums a-beating yet?
If ye were wauking, I wad wait,
Tae ging tae the coals in the morning.

The Tranent Waggonway should have been viable but eventually proved to be a financial disaster, eventually being sold off as scrap in 1778. The principle however galvanised others to start similar schemes.

Sir Archibald Hope of Craighall, owned lands around Pinkie, near Inveresk, and in 1815 opened a waggonway from his colliery at Pinkie down to Fisherrow Harbour, and eventually as far as salt pans at the Magdalene Bridge, right on the border between East Lothian and Midlothian. This waggonway appears to have been enormously successful and survived until 1841.

The waggonways were getting closer and closer to Edinburgh. While Robert Stevenson had been commissioned to survey a route for the ‘Edinburgh Railway’ in 1817 (see Chapter 1: Early Attempts), the following year saw him working on another project. Alexander Laing of Shawfair was the owner of Newton Colliery, near Millerhill, Midlothian. Laing and another colliery baron and landowner, Sir John Don Wauchope of Edmonstone, commissioned Robert Stevenson to survey a four mile route from Newton Colliery to LIttle France, on Sir John’s Edmonstone estate, and right by the Old Dalkeith Road.

The route Stevenson chose was agreed on and the waggonway appears to have been built very quickly – somewhat amazing given the steep inclines involved. The line ran uphill to the north from Newton, curving around where the later Monktonhall Colliery would later be built, apparently close to where Woolmet Colliery later stood, then taking a sharp left downhill to the foot of the Wisp, serving Edmonstone Colliery, and across the Edmonstone Estate to Little France. The line was built of malleable iron edge-rails (the rails being L shaped, as opposed to wheels being flanged), tied to freestone blocks and opened in August 1818, as reported in the Edinburgh Evening Courant:

MR ALEXANDER LAING begs leave to inform inhabitants of Edinburgh and neighbourhood that he has completed a Rail Road, fourmiles in length, from his Coal Works at Newton to Little France, at which he will, on Monday next COMMENCE SALES of the BEST JEWEL COAL and EDMONSTONE GREAT COAL., at reasonable prices. Little France is on the Dalkeith Road, only two miles from the southern vicinity, and three miles from the high street of Edinburgh, those who purchase their coals at the Little France depot will save over half the present carriage, and tear and wear of harness, &c. in proprotion he now solicits his friends and the public to make trial, when he flatters himself they will find the quality and price to be such as will merit a liberal share of their patronage.

NEWTON-HOUSE, August 20, 1818

The Edmonstone Waggonway rarely gets a mention in railway histories of Edinburgh, and yet it’s enormous success cannot be underestimated. Stevenson, Laing and Wauchope had brought coal traffic for the first time to within two miles of the southern boundary of the city (at this time around Pollock Halls to Salisbury Road) and three miles from the city centre, and it continued to be used for many years to come.

The lease on Edmonstone Colliery transferred to the Stenhouses of Whitehill in either 1824 or 1826. On the first attempt of the Edinburgh & Dalkeith Railway Company (EDR) to gain an Act of Parliament in 1825, John Don Wauchope was one of the objectors (but strangely enough to did not attend the hearing or send a representative to argue his case). After that Bill failed on it’s Third Reading, when the EDR submitted their second (and successful) Bill in 1826, it is rumoured that Stenhouse tried to have a clause inserted compensating him for the abandonment of the waggonway. Wauchope attempted to get the EDR to buy the line but was not successful, while James Jardine’s 1825 survey for the EDR showed a proposed junction with the Edmonstone Waggonway at Redrow.

Whatever the speculation, it is widely regarded that the Edmonstone Waggonway was abandoned after the Edinburgh & Dalkeith Railway opened in 1831.

In his excellent work, Early Railways of the Lothians, M J Worling makes the point that an 1899 map shows a coal yard at Pentecox, Little France, with a tramway to it marked “disused”. Could it then have survived another sixty years, maybe connected to other industrial lines?

This is not just perfectly possible, I would suggest that is exactly what happened, and I can give my own anecdotal evidence to support that claim. I grew up in the Moredun area, and just up the road from Little France. I recall during my childhood an ancient wall bordering the Burdiehouse Burn collapsed, revealing that it had been strengthened at one point with two long stretches of iron, one of which was L shaped – and the other of which I now know to have been a length of more modern ‘bullhead’ rail. Little France lies over a mile from the nearest railway, the Edinburgh suburban line, so it is highly unlikely a length of rail would have been transported that far for this purpose. It is far more likely that the wall was strengthened with one of the original rails from the waggonway, and a later one.

My second account dates from 2010, when I walked the last remnants of the Waggonway before it disappeared for good beneath modern road building works. As the trackbed reached the Niddrie Policies it had become eradicated, and there at my feet were the rotting remnants of a wooden sleeper. The waggonway was tied to freestone blocks, not laid on modern sleepers, so this remnant is a definite pointer to the upgrading of the line.

There was once a network of industrial colliery lines which emnated out from Niddrie Colliery and brickworks, taking in Woolmet Colliery, near Newton, and a coal depot right at the top of Edmonstone village, near Danderhall. These lines crossed the route of the Edmonstone Waggonway, and I therefore surmise that it was upgraded with bullhead rails laid to standard gauge on wooden sleepers, and thus incorporated into the local colliery railway network.

Sadly, we shall never now know, as the last remnants of the Edmonstone Waggonway disappeared forever with the building of the Edinburgh Bioquarter development and it’s feeder roads.


Ver el vídeo: Amazing woodern u0026 glasses table (Octubre 2022).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos